The following seven questions will be posed to the five candidates for appointment to the San Mateo County Harbor District governing board. These questions were developed by commissioners Jim Tucker and Robert Benardo. All commissioners will be able to ask follow up questions. Each candidate will have a total of fifteen minutes to answer the questions, including follow ups.
Here are the questions (deleted questions indicated by strikethrough, new question in italics):
Why do you want to be a Harbor Commissioner?
1. If appointed to the Commission, you must by law run in county-wide election campaigns in November 2014 and 2016. If you are selected, do you intend to run in BOTH elections?
2. Describe your knowledge of the Harbor District, Oyster Point Marina, and Pillar Point Harbor. What main challenges and opportunities do you forsee?
3. What proposals or projects would you suggest for expanding the District’s revenue base?
4. Do you think the Harbor District should develop a strategic plan? If so, why?
5. Summarize your knowledge and understanding of the District’s current (FY 2012-13) budget and debt obligations to the Department of Boating and Waterways.
6. How will your specific knowledge and abilities make you the ideal candidate for Harbor Commissioner?
7. What do you see as your primary role as Harbor Commissioner?
8. Do you support switching to District wide elections? If so, why? If not, why?
The meeting will be held this Wednesday, June 5, starting at at 5:00 pm at the Comfort Inn on Cabrillo Highway.